Not many of us truly understand the significance of the ingredients on the back of our favorite moisturizer or mascara. If it’s approved for sale in a drugstore or department store, it must be safe, right? The truth is, the FDA does not require companies to test skin care products or cosmetics for safety. As it turns out, many of these products contain harmful chemicals — including carcinogens which are known to cause cancer. Ready to take a closer look at the products in your bathroom?
Here is a list of 10 harmful chemicals in cosmetics and personal care products, according to NaturalNews:
- Synthetic coloring ingredients (listed as D&C or FD&C) — cause cancer in lab mice
- Emulsifiers — Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA) cause cancer in lab mice
- Leads (found in many lipsticks)
- PVP/VA Copolymer — found in hairspray, toxic when inhaled
- Triclosan — can impair thyroid production, contributes to antibiotic-resistant bacteria
- Urea — a preservative found in a wide range of products, can cause skin irritation, headaches, fatigue, depression
- Phthalates — dangerous toxins that harm the nervous system
- Formaldehyde — known to cause cancer, found in nail polish, hair gel and hair straightening products
- Petroleum — many petroleum-derived products , including propylene glycol, are linked to serious health problems
How Do I Ensure My Skin Care Products Are Safe?
Look for 100% organic skin care lines that feature the USDA Organic seal. The Innovative Med Spa carries Eminence, an award-winning handmade organic skin care line from Hungary, which is free of harsh chemicals and additives. The Eminence Biodynamic Collection features plant-based ingredients that are farmed according to their optimal lunar phase in soil enhanced by natural medicinal herbs and mineral composts — no chemical fertilizers or pesticides. The result? The most potent organic skin care products available, prepared to calm the most sensitive skin, and revive skin that is showing the signs of aging or hormonal imbalance.